Saturday, September 11, 2010

Boots


Originally posted 9/1/2010 to Fetlife
I took them out on the back porch this afternoon and sat in the shade. I've been cranky and volatile for a few days and just needed to sit and actually work for awhile.
I started working at the dirt that's collected in all the crevices. The leather is soft under my fingers, dry but not crumbling. There's life in these boots yet. I like the smell of the soap in its tin. The rags are coming away grey. It's going to take a few more sessions of this before I get them where I want them. But for now I'm content to work at the details, assess the damage and reassure myself that I can do this.
I don't want the leather to get too wet so I stopped after a thorough scrubbing today. I'll give them a day or two to fully dry and then hit them again. Then plenty of Huberd's and we'll see where we stand with the scrapes, gouges and wear. There's a place where the sole is coming away also, that will need some repair.
It feels good to work on a tangible project. It feels very grounding to work on a pair of boots I know I'll be wearing for years to come. I'm proud to carry their history forward as I add my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment